Seton Medical Center – Fourth Floor
The 44-bed MediCal-certified and Joint Commission-accredited Subacute Unit at Seton Medical Center offers long-term care to medically stable residents 18 years and older in a warm, caring and spiritually fulfilling environment. Our dedicated interdisciplinary health care team provides comprehensive, compassionate care that considers the whole person: mind, body, and spirit.
Subacute care is primarily defined by a patient’s medical condition and when the patient no longer requires acute care yet necessitates the use of a tracheotomy, gastrostomy (feeding) tube, and in some cases a ventilator. In these cases, patients require a higher level of care than a skilled nursing facility provides.
Members of the interdisciplinary care team on the Subacute Unit include physician, nurses, nursing assistants, social workers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, activity coordinators, pharmacists, dieticians, dentists, podiatrists, and
For admission, patients must require at least three of the following:
- Tracheotomy care with continuous mechanical ventilation for at least 50% of the day
- Tracheotomy care on room air mist or oxygen as needed (and at least one of the six listed treatments/procedures)
- Total parental nutrition (TPN)
- Physical, occupational and/or speech therapy at a minimum of 2 hours/day, 5 days/week
- Nasogastric or gastrostomy (GT/PEG) tube feedings
- Respiratory therapy treatments a minimum of 4 times/every 24 hours
- Continuous IV therapy involving administration of medications or IV therapy necessary for hydration, or IV medication administration via a central or peripheral line or intermittently via saline lock
- Debridement, packing, and medicated irrigation with or without whirlpool treatment
Any stable patient may be referred for consideration for admission. Our admissions coordinator, social worker, and medical director will evaluate every patient. For more information regarding admissions to the Subacute Unit, call (650) 991-6581. For information about employment opportunities on the unit, call (650) 991-6625.